|Titles||Chieftain of the Dúnedain|
|Birth||T.A. 2012 |
|Rule||T.A. 2106 - 2177|
|Death||T.A. 2177 (aged 165)|
|House||House of Isildur|
|Siblings||At least one sibling [note 1]|
Arahael (T.A. 2012 - 2177, died aged 165) was the second Chieftain of the Dúnedain, succeeding his father, Aranarth, when he died in 2106.
Arahael was raised by Elrond in Rivendell (as were all his descendants) while his father protected Eriador from the evils of the wild with the help of other Rangers.
Arahael's reign was uneventful (as far as we know), due to the secretive (and therefore now little-known) nature of the Dúnedain, and the Watchful Peace which there was at that time. It is likely that the Rangers fought minor battles and skirmishes against orcs in order to keep the region safe.
Arahael died in 2177, having been Chieftain for 65 years, and was followed by his son, Aranuir.
Arahael is a Sindarin name. Its meaning is not glossed, but the Association Tolkiendil suggests it means "Wise King". It is probably a compound of the prefix ar(a)- ("noble", "royal", "high"), a phonetic reduction of aran ("king"), and the lenited from hael of sael ("wise").
Other versions of the legendarium
In an early manuscript Arahael name was "Arahantil".
- ↑ In Appendix A, Dírhael is said to be a descendant of a younger branch of Aranarth, meaning Araheal had at least one sibling
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "VII. The Heirs of Elendil", p. 196
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Northern Line: Heirs of Isildur"
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Eriador, Arnor, and the Heirs of Isildur"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Association Tolkiendil, "Compound Sindarin Names in Middle-earth", Tolkiendil (accessed 5 February 2022)
- ↑ Paul Strack, "S. Arahael m.", Eldamo - An Elvish Lexicon (accessed 5 February 2022)
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "VII. The Heirs of Elendil", Commentary, p. 211
House of Isildur
Cadet branch of House of Elros
|25th Heir of Isildur|
T.A. 2106 - 2177
|2nd Chieftain of the Dúnedain|
T.A. 2106 - 2177