|Position||King of Gondor|
|Birth||T.A. 1516 |
|Rule||T.A. 1634 - 1636 (2 years)|
|Death||T.A. 1636 (aged 120)|
During Great Plague
|House||House of Anárion|
Telemnar came to the throne unexpectedly when his father Minardil was killed in a surprise raid by Corsairs of Umbar. In response, he began outfitting a fleet to reduce the Haven of Umbar, but this work was halted when the Great Plague struck his realm. The King and all his children died in T.A. 1636, as did a large number of the people of Gondor. The White Tree withered and died, Osgiliath was partially deserted and began to fall into ruin, and the watch on Mordor ceased.
Telemnar is Quenya. Its meaning is not glossed, but as Paul Strack explains, it seems to mean "Silver Fire" and be a compound of an assimilated form telep of telpë ("silver") and the element nár ("fire").
1391 - 1621
1454 - 1634†
1516 - 1636†
1577 - 1798
1632 - 1850
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "VII. The Heirs of Elendil"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Southern Line: Heirs of Anarion"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "Gondor and the Heirs of Anárion"
- Paul Strack, "Q. Telemnar m.", Eldamo - An Elvish Lexicon (accessed 28 July 2021)
House of Anárion
Cadet branch of House of Elros
|26th King of Gondor|
T.A. 1634 - 1636