Kings of Khazad-dûm
From Tolkien Gateway
The King of Khazad-dûm (S. Aran Moria) was the King of Durin's Folk who ruled from his seat at Khazad-dûm, the greatest Dwarf-city of the Longbeards.
Founded in the Years of the Trees by Durin the Deathless, the kingdom lasted for thousands of years before its people were driven into exile by a Balrog in T.A. 1980. However, according to prophecy, Durin VII reclaimed his ancestral throne sometime after Fo.A. 171.[note 1]
List of Kings
While sixty or more kings might have ruled Khazad-dûm through the ages, only nine have been recorded:
- Durin the Deathless - the founder and first King of Khazad-dûm in the Elder Days.
- Durin II
- Durin III - who was a friend of the Elves of Eregion and was given the first of the Seven Rings by Celebrimbor. He later sealed the Doors of Durin when Sauron destroyed Eregion in S.A. 1697.
- Durin IV
- Durin V
- Durin VI - the king whose people delved too deep into the earth in their search for mithril and awoke a Balrog. He was killed shortly after its release in T.A. 1980.
- Náin I - who was king for less than a year before he too was killed by the Balrog. Durin's folk then fled their ancestral home and Khazad-dûm became known as Moria, the "Black Pit".
- Balin led a colony that attempted to retake Moria in T.A. 2989. Balin was a descendent of Durin, but not of the senior male line of descent, while the King of Durin's Folk was Dáin Ironfoot. As such, Balin ruled only as Lord of Moria for five years.
- Durin VII - the king who returned to and refounded Khazad-dûm sometime after Fo.A. 171.
- ↑ The mention of Durin's name as a prophecy in the Appendix A, and considering that the Appendix derives from the Red Book (copied Fo.A. 171), seems to suggest that he was probably born, or emerged, after that date.
|Kings of Durin's Folk|
|Durin I* (Y.T.) · Durin II* · Durin III* (fl. S.A. 1600) · Durin IV* · Durin V* · Durin VI* (until T.A. 1980) · Náin I* (1980 - 1981) · Thráin I† (1981 - 2190) · Thorin I† (2190 - 2289) · Glóin (2289 - 2385) · Óin (2385 - 2488) · Náin II (2488 - 2585) · Dáin I (2585 - 2589) · Thrór† (2585 - 2790) · Thráin II (2790 - 2850) · Thorin II Oakenshield† (2850 - 2941) · Dáin II Ironfoot† (2941 - 3019) · Thorin III Stonehelm† (T.A. 3019 - Fourth Age) · Durin VII (Fourth Age)*|
|* Kings of Khazad-dûm · † Kings under the Mountain|