- "Gothmog the lieutenant of Morgul had ﬂung them into the fray; Easterlings with axes, and Variags of Khand, Southrons in scarlet, and out of Far Harad black men like half-trolls with white eyes and red tongues."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"
Half-troll was a term used to describe the appearance of the Far Haradrim who fought for Sauron at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. Later in the battle, the knights of Dol Amroth were said to have driven before them "troll-men and Variags and orcs."
There is no other known reference to this term in the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, so it cannot be known whether half-trolls ever truly existed within Arda, even as folklore. If half-trolls did exist, whether their origins had any similarity to those of half-orcs can only be a matter for speculation.
According to Christopher Tolkien, a character in the Thiðrekssaga (a 13th century work which influenced The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún), who is an off-spring of a woman and an incubus, appears "troll-like" and is "all over dark, with black hair and black beard".
Portrayal in adaptations
|Half-trolls in adaptations|
1982-97: Middle-earth Role Playing:
- Half-trolls (Sindarin Pirtereg, sing. Pertorog) were bred by Sauron, from a union of Olog-hai and Variags or Men from Khand. They are about seven feet tall and have black skin.
1995-8: Middle-earth Collectible Card Game:
- "Half-trolls of Far Harad" is a creature, able to inflict two strikes on a player. "Half-trolls" is a Troll Faction, playable at Cirith Ungol or Barad-dûr.
- The Half Trolls are "Mahûd men" of Far Harad who were altered to the size and strength of the Olog-hai of Sauron. During the end of the Third Age, when Sauron was destroyed, their powers diminished and they too fell into darkness. Units include "Half Troll Warband" and "Half Troll of Far Harad".
- Half-Troll Marauders are crossbreeds of Trolls and an Orcs. These creatures serve as the pikemen unit for the Goblin faction.. In a later expansion pack, Half Troll Swordsmen are available.
2015: The Lord of the Rings Online::Half-trolls appear as a type of Troll-kind creature crossed with the blood of Men. They have the strength and appearance of Trolls yet are also cunning and intelligent. Sauron bestowed Half-trolls onto the Haradrim as a gift. Half-trolls can be found throughout the various regions of Gondor and Anórien, fighting alongside Men of Harad and the Corsairs of Umbar.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields", p. 846
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King, "The Battle of the Pelennor Fields", p. 848
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún, "Appendix A: Origins of the Legend", p. 357
- S. Coleman Charlton (1993), Middle-earth Role Playing (2nd edition, hardcover) (#2000)
- R. Mark Colburn, Peter C. Fenlon, John D. Ruemmler, Terry K. Amthor, Jessica M. Ney (1989), Lords of Middle-earth Vol III: Hobbits, Dwarves, Ents, Orcs & Trolls (#8004)
- Troll-man at Wikipedia (accessed 14 November 2010)
- Half Trolls at Games Workshop (accessed 14 November 2010)
- Battle for Middle-earth II - The Goblin Horde at Ign.com (accessed 14 November 2010)
|Legendary Races of Arda|
|Animals:||Dumbledors · Gorcrows · Hummerhorns · Pards · Swans of Gorbelgod · Turtle-fish|
|Dragon-kind:||Sea-serpents · Spark-dragons · Were-worms|
|Evil Races:||Ettens · Giants · Half-trolls · Hobgoblins · Ogres · Snow-trolls · Two-headed Trolls|
|Other:||Badger-folk · Great beasts · Lintips · Mewlips · Nameless Things · Spectres|
|Individuals:||The Hunter · Lonely Troll · Man in the Moon · The Rider · River-woman · Tarlang · Tim · White cow|