|This article describes a concept which is mentioned in J.R.R. Tolkien's works, but was never given a definite name.|
- "[Helm] would go out by himself, clad in white, and stalk like a snow-troll into the camps of his enemies, and slay many men with his hands."
- ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The House of Eorl"
Snow-troll was a term used to describe Helm Hammerhand on his solo raids against the Dunlendings during the Long Winter of T.A. 2758 and 2759. Helm's deeds were long remembered in Dunland and struck fear in those who heard of them.
There is no other known reference to this term in the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, so it cannot be known whether snow-trolls ever truly existed within Arda, even as mere folklore.
Portrayal in adaptations[edit | edit source]
Like half-trolls, snow-trolls have been depicted in many adaptations.
|Snow-trolls in adaptations|
Television[edit | edit source]
2022: The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power:
- September 1: A Shadow of the Past:
- While investigating a fortress located within the Forodwaith, Galadriel's company is ambushed by a stalking Hristorco (Q. Ice-troll),[note 1] a variation of Trolls that had long ago adapted to live within the harsh and cold climates of the northern realms that they call home.
Games[edit | edit source]
1982-97: Middle-earth Role Playing:
- Snow Trolls are large (10-12 ft tall), grey-white and rare creatures, who prey the northern regions of Middle-earth. They turn into pillars of icy slag if exposed to the Sun.
2006: The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II: The Rise of the Witch-king:
- Snow Trolls are a playable unit in the Angmar faction. They are one of the strongest units, not only in that faction, but in the game overall. They are equipped with pickaxes, helmets and small shields. Snow trolls can be used also in the Create-a-hero section.
2007: The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar:
- A Snow-troll fought in the army of Skorgrím Dourhand during the Battle of Edhelion. He destroyed the city's gate and tried to kill Dorongúr Whitethorn and the player, but was slain himself by Elrond before he could complete his attempt. Other Snow-trolls are found in the Ered Luin region.
2011: The Lord of the Rings: War in the North:
- Snow-trolls are encountered on the slopes of Mount Gundabad. They are implied to be hostile, even to the various Orcs and Trolls gathering at the mountain.
See also[edit | edit source]
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The House of Eorl", p. 1066
- ↑ https://mobile.twitter.com/WizardWayKris/status/1594774313613242368
- ↑ Amazon Prime's "X-Ray feature"
- ↑ R. Mark Colburn, Peter C. Fenlon, John D. Ruemmler, Terry K. Amthor, Jessica M. Ney (1989), Lords of Middle-earth Vol III: Hobbits, Dwarves, Ents, Orcs & Trolls (#8004)
- ↑ Randy Maxwell (1997), The Northern Waste (#2025)
- ↑ The Lord of the Rings Online, Introduction, Instance: The Refuge of Edhelion
|Legendary races of Arda|
|Animals:||Dumbledors · Gorcrows · Hummerhorns · Pards · Swans of Gorbelgod · Turtle-fish|
|Dragon-kind:||Sea-serpents · Spark-dragons · Were-worms|
|Evil Races:||Ettens · Giants · Half-trolls · Hobgoblins · Ogres · Snow-trolls · Two-headed Trolls|
|Other:||Badger-folk · Great beasts · Lintips · Mewlips · Nameless things · Spectres|
|Individuals:||Talking Gurthang · Talking purse · The Hunter · Lady of the Sun · Lonely Troll · Man in the Moon · The Rider · River-woman · Tarlang · Tim · Tom · White cow|