Tolkien Gateway:Task list
This page lists specific tasks to be completed in Tolkien Gateway. Feel free to add new suggestions of things to be improved in the wiki, but remember this is "the J.R.R. Tolkien encyclopedia that anyone can edit", so you can also pick a task and get into it. Just do not forget to follow the Manual of Style. Users can also be involved in wider projects.
- Discussed by gatekeepers in Discord
- Make easier guidelines for new editors.
Remake Tolkien Gateway:Chat and give place to the Discord server.
- Remake Tolkien Gateway:Projects.
- Give linguistics stuff its own project.
- Pointed by various users in a Reddit post
the War of Wrath article talks about the presence of the Valar during the battle, but there's nothing in the text stating that they were actually present.
- Please more clearly define First Age (the First Age began in VY 1050 with the Awakening of the Elves, ended with the beginning of the Years of the Sun according to the Valinorean loremasters, but for the loremasters of the Noldor Exiles, included the 590 sun years from the rising of the Sun to the overthrow of Morgoth.)
- The Timeline article and the Timeline/First Age article both incorrectly mark the beginning of the First Age in the first year of the Years of the Sun instead of VY 1050.
- "Years of the Lamps" is fanon for the 3500 Valian year period from the descent of the Ainur into Arda up to the creation of the Two Trees. This time should be "Days before Days".
- The time within the "Days before Days" that was lit by the Two Lamps is the Spring of Arda.
Nazgûl#Powers_and_abilities is mostly fanon.
- Pointed by Erkenbard in Discord
- the page about Quanta Sarmë says that "its usage and characters are a mystery" and lacks any information about qanta-tenkele from PE22, while that system, fully explained there and readily useable, is essentially the same full writing system as later Quanta Sarmë, I believe, or at least it is worth mentioning in connection with the latter; so some of the editors with access to PE22 might want to take a look at this matter.
A collection of all important & useful websites regarding Tolkien
- Suggested by User:Luotiansha
- This page - Websites - is intended to be an index to all the useful and good websites both now and past. It is best to give a short description to each of these entries. Anyone can add entries to it!
- Suggested by User:IvarTheBoneless
Change the Noldor/Vanyar/Falmari infoboxes to include the 'people' section, so that Gnomes, Teleri, and Solosimpi characters could be under their respective infoboxes. Subsequently delete the Gnomes infobox.
- Maybe create a super infobox for characters that magically changes its color depending of the race.
- Suggested by User:Dour1234
- Suggested by User:LorenzoCB
- The Lord of the Rings
- All articles citing it should include pagination of the 50th Anniversary Edition.
- All articles of Poems in The Lord of the Rings need better references and an explanation of their context.
Eye of Sauron deserves its own article, which should be divided in the appareance of Sauron and his heraldic device.
- Unfinished Tales of Númenor and Middle-earth
- All articles citing it should include pagination.
This is to be included in Help:References.
- Many of its chapters are stubs or need a better synopsis.
- All articles citing it should include pagination.
- The Silmarillion
- Only "Of Túrin Turambar"'s synopsis is left.
- Analysis of Christopher's editorial work on each chapter. Not about the evolution of his father's work, but a simplification of what is explained in Arda Reconstructed.
- Maybe articles for other sections like the Foreword, the Appendix, the Map of the Realms and the Tables.
- The History of Middle-earth
- Including the transcription of the Tengwar inscription in the title page of each volume. Including the Tengwar inscription itself would be appropiate.
- Each book needs a better section on editions.
- Synopsis for all chapters/sections of each book. More details below.
- The Book of Lost Tales
- The Lays of Beleriand
- An article for the Quenta Silmarillion in-universe is needed, which should be done in a similar way to Ainulindalë (Rúmil's work), including all the versions.
- The History of The Lord of the Rings: somebody began a good synopsis of The Return of the Shadow chapters, but left it in chapter XIV. It would be appropiate to follow the same style.
- The Notion Club Papers: the main article should not include a synopsis, but an overall analysis and an index that leads to the synopsis of each section.
- Synopsis of books unrelated to the legendarium:
- The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrún: each poem needs its own article.
- The Fall of Arthur: the poem needs a synopsis somewhere.
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl and Sir Orfeo: each text needs its own article.
- "On Fairy-Stories" is a stub.
- Merge Category:Books and documents within the legendarium and Category:Lays and tales within the legendarium and create a [Category:Literary works within the legendarium].
Move [:Category:User images] to [:Category:Images by users]. Maybe include Image categories of artists as subcategories?
- Clarify the terms Teleri and Falathrim. Somebody began applying the term "Falathrim" to the Teleri in Aman, but it was done poorly.
- Move Category:Images of alphabets to Category:Images of writing systems
- Upload all kind of runes in a way they can be applied for the English use and the different modes of Cirth.
- New English Alphabet
- Revise the main articles for each language, including earlier versions.
- Revise all the articles of C:Elvish words:
- Correct article name: many times articles were created without taking into account lenition rules (for example, aearon instead of gaearon).
- Proper differentiation between early/later Elvish, specially Gnomish/Noldorin/Sindarin.
- References (preferably primary, such as The Silmarillion appendix, no need to overcharge an article with every single work in which the word appears).
- Etymology section that includes the root, if exists.
- Examples section without references, but with a link to other articles.
- Cognates section, if any.
- Upload better quality images of Tengwar
- Obliterate Category:Tengwar Quenya
- Update and clean up all the indexes (Category:Index)
- Life of J.R.R. Tolkien
- Full original article for his life, with references!
- Clean up all the stub tags accumulated by Category:The Lord of the Rings (film series) scenes
- Good summary! A note: some years ago we discussed page references to UT, and found that the pagination is not consistent in the different editions (unlike the Houghton Mifflin/HarperCollins HoME, and works that have a "standard" edition like LotR). I therefore made an expanded citation template for UT, since there are several divisions and sub-divisions in the book. But perhaps there are new reasons to start including page references to UT as well? --Morgan 22:29, 4 August 2022 (UTC)
- Christopher Tolkien uses UT pagination constantly thoughtout HOME, so using the same as him is perfectly consistent with what we already have. I've always included pages when citing UT, aware that it was the same as the one used by Christopher. Expanding the citation template was useful nontheless, but having the more precise references, the better. --LorenzoCB 12:53, 5 August 2022 (UTC)