Year of the Trees 1495
From Tolkien Gateway
Year of the Trees 1495 (abbreviated to Y.T. 1495) is the 1495th year of the Trees in the First Age of Arda. Year of the Trees 1495 was also V.Y. 4995 in Valian Years.
Notable events in this year include:
- Melkor and Ungoliant cross the Pelóri. They go to the Green Mound and destroy the Two Trees. Aman is covered in darkness, thus beginning the Long Night.
- Melkor goes to Formenos, kills Finwë and steals the Silmarils. Finwë's son, Fëanor, names Melkor "Morgoth".
- After his father's death, Fëanor becomes the King of the Noldor though this claim was not acknowledged by all the Noldor; many took Fingolfin as their lord immediately after the loss of Finwë.
- Morgoth and Ungoliant cross the Pelóri, pass through Araman, and go over the Helcaraxë to the north of Beleriand. Ungoliant demands the Silmarils and attacks Morgoth; the Balrogs come to Morgoth's aid and Ungoliant flees to Nan Dungortheb.
- Morgoth goes to Angband, rears up Thangorodrim, and fills his fortress with Orcs. He affixes the Silmarils to his Iron Crown and declares himself King of the World.
- Fëanor stirs the Noldor to leave Valinor and seek revenge - Fëanor and his sons swear an Oath pledging to reclaim the Silmarils. The Flight of the Noldor begins.
- Fëanor goes to Alqualondë to persuade the Teleri to join the Noldor in exile. The Teleri refuse so the Noldor engage the Teleri in battle and steal their ships in the First Kinslaying.
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Darkening of Valinor"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Morgoth's Ring, "The Annals of Aman": §107-128
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Silmarillion, "Quenta Silmarillion: Of the Flight of the Noldor"
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Morgoth's Ring, "The Annals of Aman": §129-150