Calimehtar (King of Gondor)
|Titles||King of Gondor|
|Birth||T.A. 1736 |
|Rule||T.A. 1856 - 1936 (80 years)|
|Death||T.A. 1936 (aged 200)|
|House||House of Anárion|
|Children||Ondoher, Unnamed daughter|
Calimehtar's father, Narmacil II, had died in T.A. 1856 in the Battle of the Plains. Determined to avenge this defeat, Calimehtar was preparing for war when messengers came to him from Marhwini (of the Northmen) warning him of plans by the Wainriders to raid Calenardhon across the Undeeps. However, the messengers also informed Calimehtar that a revolt of those enslaved after the Battle of the Plains was being prepared and would erupt should the Wainriders become involved in war.
As quickly as he could in T.A. 1899 Calimehtar led an army north from Ithilien, making sure that the enemy knew of his movements. Gathering all of their available strength, the Wainriders came down to meet him and the King gave way before them, drawing them away from their homes. A battle developed upon the Dagorlad which seemed in doubt until upon the flank and rear of the Wainriders fell Calimehtar's horsemen joined with a great éored let by Marhwini. Calimehtar's and Marhwini's victory was overwhelming and Gondor enjoyed a respite from war for 45 years.
Calimehtar is Quenya for Bright Warrior. It might be a compound of cala ("light") and mehtar ("warrior") (a possible late variant of mahtar), but it could also be a compound of calima ("bright") and ohtar ("warrior"), although it is unclear why a+o became e.
1632 - 1850
1684 - 1856†
1736 - 1936
1787 - 1944†
1883 - 2043
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The Peoples of Middle-earth, "VII. The Heirs of Elendil"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Realms in Exile", "The Southern Line: Heirs of Anarion"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), Unfinished Tales, "Cirion and Eorl and the Friendship of Gondor and Rohan", "(i) The Northmen and the Wainriders"
- Paul Strack, "Q. Calimehtar m.", Eldamo - An Elvish Lexicon (accessed 19 July 2021)
- J.R.R. Tolkien, "Words, Phrases and Passages in Various Tongues in The Lord of the Rings", in Parma Eldalamberon XVII (edited by Christopher Gilson), p. 57
- J.R.R. Tolkien, Christopher Tolkien (ed.), The War of the Jewels, "Part Four. Quendi and Eldar: Author's Notes to Quendi and Eldar", Note 15, p. 411
House of Anárion
Cadet branch of House of Elros
|30th King of Gondor|
T.A. 1856 - 1936