Timeline of Aragorn
From Tolkien Gateway
A timeline of the life of Aragorn II in the Third Age.
- Death of Aragorn's father Arathorn II. Aragorn's mother Gilraen takes him to Rivendell where Elrond accepts him as a foster-son and calls him Estel meaning "hope."
- June: Gandalf, Bilbo Baggins and Thorin and Company arrive at Rivendell. It is unknown whether they interact with 10-years old Aragorn.
- Aragorn learns his true name and ancestry from Elrond. He is given the shards of Narsil. Aragorn meets Arwen at Rivendell. He then embarks into the wild on many adventures.
- Aragorn journeys throughout Middle-earth. He serves King Thengel of Rohan and Ecthelion II, Steward of Gondor, going by the name Thorongil.
- Aragorn defeats the Corsairs while in the service of Ecthelion. He then faces perils on the confines of Mordor before turning homeward. Aragorn meets Arwen in Lothlorien and they become betrothed on Midsummer's Eve.
- Spring: Death of Aragorn's mother Gilraen.
- 1 February: Aragorn captures Gollum in the Dead Marshes.
- 21 March: Aragorn delivers Gollum to King Thranduil of the Woodland Realm to be held captive.
- 1 May: Aragorn meets Gandalf at Sarn Ford and learns of Frodo's plan to leave the Shire in September.
- 29 September: Aragorn meets Frodo Baggins in Bree.
- 30 September: Aragorn leads the Hobbits out of Bree.
- 6 October: Five Nazgûl attack the camp at Weathertop.
- 13 October: Aragorn finds a token left by Glorfindel on the Last Bridge.
- 20 October: Frodo escapes across the Ford of Bruinen to Rivendell; Aragorn and the others follow.
- 25 October: The Council of Elrond; Aragorn shows the shards of Narsil and declares his intention to go to Minas Tirith.
- 18 December: Aragorn joins the Company of the Ring.
- 25 December: The Fellowship leaves Rivendell.
- 11-12 January: Blizzard on Caradhras.
- 13 January: The Fellowship enters Moria against Aragorn's advice.
- 15 January: Gandalf falls facing the Balrog; Aragorn leads the Fellowship out of Moria to the edge of Lothlorien.
- 17 January: The Fellowship are greeted by Galadriel and Celeborn.
- 16 February: The Fellowship leaves Lothlorien; Aragorn receives Andúril's sheath.
- 25 February: The Fellowship passes the Argonath.
- 26 February: The Breaking of the Fellowship. Aragorn decides to follow the Uruk-hai who captured Merry and Pippin.
- 30 February: The Three Hunters meet Éomer and then travel to the edge of Fangorn.
- 1 March: The Three Hunters are reunited with Gandalf and set out for Meduseld.
- 2 March: Gandalf and the Three Hunters arrive at Meduseld.
- 3 March: The Rohirrim retreat to Helm's Deep and the Battle of the Hornburg begins.
- 4 March: Aragorn rides out at dawn with King Théoden. The Huorns of Fangorn and Gandalf arrive and the battle is won.
- 5 March: The Three Hunters are reunited with Merry and Pippin at Isengard. Aragorn takes possession of the palantir of Orthanc.
- 6 March: Aragorn is met by the Dúnedain and Elrond's sons. He reveals himself to Sauron in the palantir and decides to take the Paths of the Dead.
- 7 March: The Grey Company arrives at Dunharrow. Aragorn takes leave of Éowyn.
- 8 March: The Grey Company takes the Paths of the Dead. At midnight, Aragorn summons the Oathbreakers at the Stone of Erech.
- 9 March: Aragorn sets out from Erech and comes to Calembel. 
- 10 March: Aragorn, leading the Dead Men and the Grey Company, crosses the river Ringló.
- 11 March: Aragorn reaches Linhir and crosses into Lebennin.
- 12 March: Aragorn drives the enemy towards Pelargir.
- 13 March: The Grey Company reaches Pelargir with the army of the Dead and they capture the Corsairs' fleet.
- 14 March: Aragorn sails towards Minas Tirith.
- 15 March: Aragorn sails north and arrives at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. After the battle he heals Faramir, Éowyn and Merry.
- 16 March: The Captains of the West decide to march to the Black Gate.
- 18 March: Aragorn leads the army of the West out of Minas Tirith.
- 23 March: Aragorn sends those too frightened to proceed to retake Cair Andros.
- 25 March: Aragorn commands the army of the West in the Battle of the Morannon. The Ring is destroyed and Sauron is defeated.
- 8 April 8: The Ring-bearers are honored by Aragorn and the Host of the West at the Field of Cormallen.
- 1 May 1: Aragorn is crowned King.
- 25 June 25: Aragorn finds the sapling of the White Tree.
- Midsummer's Eve: Arwen arrives in Minas Tirith. Aragorn receives the Sceptre of Annúminas signifying the Kingship of Arnor from Elrond.
- Midsummer's Day: Wedding of Aragorn and Arwen.
- King Elessar makes the Shire a Free Land under the protection of the Northern Sceptre and forbids Men from entering it.
- King Elessar makes the Thain, the Master of Buckland, and the Mayor of Michel Delving Counsellors of the North-kingdom.
- King Elessar and Queen Arwen come north to dwell at Annuminas. They meet with Pippin, Merry and Sam at the Brandywine Bridge.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Third Age"
- ↑ Was Aragorn around? in Council of Elrond Forums
- ↑ J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix A, "The Númenorean Kings", "The Tale of Aragorn and Arwen"
- ↑ 4.00 4.01 4.02 4.03 4.04 4.05 4.06 4.07 4.08 4.09 4.10 4.11 4.12 4.13 4.14 4.15 4.16 4.17 4.18 4.19 4.20 4.21 4.22 4.23 4.24 4.25 4.26 4.27 4.28 4.29 4.30 4.31 4.32 4.33 4.34 4.35 4.36 4.37 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Great Years"
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "The Chief Days from the Fall of Barad-dûr to the End of the Third Age"
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 6.4 J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings, Appendix B, "Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship of the Ring"